- 4 firm Beurré Bosc pears, peeled, halved & cored
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) liquid coconut oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla (seeds of 1 vanilla pod)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- ½ cup walnuts
Preheat oven to 180C/350F (160C/320F)
Place pears in a baking tray
Mix together oil, syrup (if using), lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour mixture over pears and toss pears gently so fully coated, then turn pears so the cut side is facing up.
Pour water into tray & cover tray with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and turn pears over, so cut side is facing down. replace foil and bake for another 20 minutes before adding in walnuts. Bake for a further 10 minutes without foil. Add some water if the syrup sauce is looking dry.
Serve with a dollop of custard or cashew cream for dessert, or have for breakfast. Your choice.
- Instead of pears, try apples — you may need a shorter cooking time though.
- No coconut oil? Use butter or ghee.