Serves 3 as a main, or 4 as a side
- One cup quinoa, thoroughly washed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 celery stalks finely diced
- One red onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes, or to taste
- A handful of fresh herbs, like thyme and rosemary or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 small sweet potato, about 150 g (1 cup), diced into small cubes
- 8 medium mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup sprouted mung beans (or use 1 cup of any cooked legumes, like chickpeas and kidney beans)
- 3 cups homemade stock
- 1 large broccoli head (3 cups, including stems)
- sea salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 150C fan-forced (170C conventional). In a large pot (that is also oven-proof and has a lid) heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Sweat the celery for about 5 minutes then add the onions, chilli, garlic and herbs. Sweat for another 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
Next, add the sweet potatoes and sauté for another 3–5 minutes before stirring in the mushrooms, quinoa and legumes. Season with salt and add stock. Put the lid on and pop the pot into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and stir in the broccoli. Place the lid back on and bake for another 15 minutes. Then check whether the sweet potato has cooked through. If not, bake for a few more minutes.
Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and season to your taste. I also like to squeeze in some lemon juice.
If you liked this post or know of someone who would find it useful, please share it. Sharing is caring.